Students often worry about any writing tasks, but in fact, 1000-word essay is not as difficult as it may seem. You can cope with it within one day of work.
The main task here is to plan everything well. Select at least three good sources of info and organize the data in 5 paragraphs. And you are ready for writing.
But you should remember that your essay should be meaningful and interesting. Pay great attention to the grammar and formatting of your text. Students often fail on these aspects and that is sad that because of poor formatting their thoughts may be missed.
In this article, we will learn how to write an essay that contains 1000 words. We will discuss some relevant issues and take a close look at the structure of the essay. You will also learn some useful tips that will help to make your text great. We also are ready to help you with any other issue you may face.
How to Deal with the Fear that You Will not Cope with the Task?
The best recommendation we can give you is writing non-stop. You just have to start and write without focusing on the number of words. You may be afraid that this task will be difficult and time-consuming, but this is just a fear, not the reality. But in fact, as soon as you write a basic text, it will be much easier to fill in the gaps and add some thoughts, as well as delete a few sentences to fit in the limit.
It is not a real problem is your essay will be less or more than 1000 words. You can re-read your text and define the most interesting parts that you should widen a bit. Or you can delete the parts that will seem excessive. As soon as you have the first draft, it will be much easier to polish it and arrange your thoughts. Combine parts with transitional sentences to make your text smooth and coherent.
In most cases, you do not have to worry about this aspect as usually, teachers assign the topic to each student. But if this is not your case, you can train your analytical skills. Make sure that the selected topic will be suitable to the essay format. Also, you should check whether it is possible for you to find relevant and strong arguments.
You can start with a list of potential topics that will be interesting to you to work on. Try to come up with more narrow and definite topics. Instead of “Environmental issues” you can write something like “How to teach kids to be environmentally friendly” or similar. As soon as you have your list, eliminate less interesting or too complicated defining the best options.
Sometimes you will get this task in class, that means you will have time limits and choosing the topic should be faster. In these cases, you may use the pre-made draft list that will contain various ideas. Here are our suggestions:
1. Video game evolution: how the game dev industry offers us more challenging entertaining.
2. Superheroes as role models: why we should filter the characters we want to be like.
3. How Plato’s Republic ideas can be still relevant to modern society after 2000 years?
4. Green Mile is the best move made in the USA.
5. The importance of training writing skills at schools.
6. Is it good to just to college right after graduating school or students should have at least a one-year break?
7. Brie Larson as a superhero actress: yes and no.
8. Why we should restrict alcohol and cigarettes availability?
9. Musicians that prove that quality music will be popular without focusing on a particular genre.
10. Creative jobs have reached a new level and now it a myth that artists are always poor and drunk.
1000 Word Essay: Types
When you get the task to write a 1000-word essay, you may find out that there are a few types of this writing. As a rule, it defines the topic you should choose. Here is the list of the most common types you may write:
- Persuasive – when you have to persuade the reader to share your opinion using the facts and logical conclusions supporting your thoughts with decent resources;
- Descriptive – clear and illustrative task when you should describe the particular case using the available information about the subject;
- Narrative – this is a story you tell, but it should be relevant to the particular idea;
- Expository – this includes a deep analysis of the topic, revealing the deepest aspects of it and including the facts, analysis, and data that will provide the reader with a deeper understanding of the subject.
You already have the guide on this aspect – your essay should contain at least 1000 words. The number of pages will depend on the format requirements. When it comes to the standard requirements, we can approximately define the length of your essay:
- 2 pages if your text is written in Arial, 12pt with single spacing;
- 2 pages for Calibri, 10pt, double spacing;
- 4 pages for Times New Roman, 12pt, double spacing.
Working on the structure of your essay is the key factor in making it good. Do not ignore this stage. Moreover, you should divide the number of words into the paragraphs reasonably. We suggest you the basic structure for 1000 words essay:
This part should be 100-200 words. This is where you describe the topic and grab the reader’s attention. It may have a different structure depending on the essay type. For instance, you cannot start a narrative essay skipping the intro part. Shortly speaking, you can divide your intro into three parts:
- catching part;
- stating background;
- stating the main idea.
This part usually consists of three paragraphs and has at least 500-600 words. Every paragraph is based on a definite point, argument, and an idea. In connection, it serves the reasoning of the main idea of the essay. Work on the four parts of the essay body:
- presenting the main idea of each paragraph;
- proofs for your point;
- concluding the ideas of each paragraph.
Here you have 100-200 words to summarize the arguments from the body part and connect them in one logical conclusion. As we already know, each paragraph supports the thesis so you should eventually state why you defend the particular point of view. The parts of the conclusion can be the following:
- summarizing the main ideas;
- repeating the thesis of the essay;
- final concluding words.
Your grade will seriously depend on the proper formatting. Your teacher or the educational institution will inform you about the suitable format for the essay. The requirements will refer to the font, spacing, citation styles, etc. Formats also define the look of the title page of your essay.
The most complicated aspect is citation formatting. The most common styles are APA and MLA, while other styles like Harvard or Chicago, are less common.
Tips for Editing and Productivity
After organizing your writing process you should pay attention to the editing of the written text. When you have written the first draft, you may feel relieved, but this is only half of the way. We have collected some recommendations that will help you in polishing your essay:
1. Start with outlining. In most cases, you will be assigned to write a 1000-word essay in class. Creating an outline will help you to stay focused on your work and organize your thoughts in the proper order. This method will help you to see the logical connection between the topic and different paragraphs. You will see where you should add some arguments or conclusions and what part is sufficient enough.
2. Work on intro after writing body paragraphs. Students usually consider writing tasks to be really challenging, but they can ease their lives by starting with the main body and leave the short paragraphs of the essay to the end. On this stage, you will already know the main arguments of the essay and will be able to outline the main thoughts your essay is about to disclose. This approach will help you to set the right tone for further reading.
3. Proofread the text at least twice. Even if you have a lack of time during the in-class work, leave at least five minutes before the deadline to re-read your text. Firstly, it is important for correcting mistakes. Secondly, you may fix some minor context issues in intro or conclusion. Sure, in class you do not have an opportunity to re-write the entire essay, but you can mask some issues in some cases. That is why proofreading is a must!
4. Use checking apps. If you work at home, you have an opportunity to polish your essay better. It is much faster to correct grammar and spelling mistakes by using special services, apps, and programs.
5. Ask for professional assistance. Do not hesitate to ask for proofreading your friends or experts as the side view of the essay may help drastically.
Still, Need Help?
If you do not feel confident in your writing skills, take the advantage of the existing writing services. There you will find professional assistance of the experts in academic writing and save time and efforts.