An exploratory essay is a short piece of nonfiction writing. In it, an author examines an issue or considers a thought or experience, without compulsory endeavoring to back up an argument or bolstering a thesis statement.
You write an exploratory essay to examine a problem or an issue. You don’t do it to convince anyone or favor one opinion or the other. You should stay as neutral and objective as you can. It helps both the reader and the author to learn and improve. It leads to a new view upon things and new contemplation.
An exploratory essay is unique. It differs from all the essays you have composed. An exploratory paper is, basically, a review of your writing. It represents the process of reflection as you work through an issue. It depicts why, how and when you made specific sorts of research.
The Structure of a Typical Exploratory Essay
The structure of an exploratory essay resembles the structure of every other essay. It traditionally consists of the introduction, the main part (the body) and the conclusion.
In the introduction, you have an opportunity to precisely overview the issue that you have investigated. You tell for what reason it is essential. Besides, you should briefly point out a couple of potential reasons for the issue. You mention the organizations and the individuals who may be associated with the issue and, a few potential answers to the question.
Writing a strong introduction to an exploratory essay is a rather difficult thing. The positive evaluation of your paper relies upon how to begin it.
You should follow several essential tips. They can assist you in writing an appropriate introduction to your essay:
- Indicate every issue you will expound on, so the reader can decide if this subject is appealing to them.
- Include a luring explanation that will convince the reader to continue.
- State the goal of the essay.
The thesis of an exploratory essay, as a rule, shows the goal of the paper and its focus. It is a part of the introduction. It clarifies what the author wants to accomplish. Subsequently, writing it appropriately is significant. To write a great thesis statement you have to:
- Get yourself familiar with various parts of the research before you start.
- Attempt not to use cliche expressions
- Intrigue the reader with what you may think can deserve attention or interest.
In the body paragraphs, you ought to clarify the exploration or investigation process that took place when you examined the subject. These paragraphs should include:
- A short overview of the source information and why you chose it
- Applicable or significant data that you’ve discovered
- Why the data that you’ve revealed is significant
- A couple of individual memories on how the source helps you or empowers you to contemplate the issue etc.
In the paragraphs of the body, the author, as a rule, backs their proposal up by investigating the subject profoundly. The author communicates his/her considerations. The exploration ought to be significant and made from various points with the goal to let the reader know about every factor. Here are several tips that may assist you to write body paragraphs:
- Put the main argument at the beginning because occasionally it is hard to distinguish it.
- Emphasize your point of view and various opinions in a neutral tone.
- Between paragraphs use transitional words and expressions. That will assist you in making your essay relevant.
In conclusion, you will repeat the issue that you examined. You ought to point out a couple of its potential causes and feature some potential answers to the problem. You may even briefly describe involved individuals or establishments. If there are still questions concerning the issue, it’s your chance to discuss them some more. Make sure to explain why you think these issues exist, where you should search for answers. Think of a scenario where extra research is needed.
Remember when you will be writing such an essay that your principal goal is to explore the issue thoroughly. Consequently, in the final part of the essay, you ought to offer one or a few proper answers or solutions.
Make sure that you remember to:
- Point out the principle issue or the problem you have mentioned at the beginning.
- Quickly review all the key points.
- Summarize the analysis made by you.
Exploratory Essay Writing Tips
- Write a standard outline.
- Read all the sources thoroughly.
- Define how every source will support your opinion and the key ideas you have pointed out in the outline.
- Address one of your classmates, tell them about the subject of your future essay. Make sure they comprehend what you say. Maybe they are ready to offer you extra opinions that you probably won’t have thought of.
- Think of adding several images to your completed paper.
- Write your first draft. Make sure to use transitional phrases between paragraphs.
- Incorporate summarized ideas, suitable quotations and paraphrasing.
- Evaluate your essay and ask someone else to evaluate it.
- Write your final draft. Correct mistakes, if there are any, make necessary changes.
20 Topics for an Exploratory Essay
- Should people acquire more moral values as they are getting older?
- Is drinking tea before sleep good for your health?
- How well should you know a person before you get married?
- Does religion help to overcome difficulties in a person’s life?
- What measure should the government take to lower the crime rate?
- Do films express important ideas better than films?
- Is depression a normal reaction to the death of a loved one?
- Why is it important to organize your time?
- How can a person keep healthy personal boundaries?
- Is the internet important for the development of a human’s brain?
- Does poetry help people to overcome psychic trauma?
- What diet should people choose for a longer and healthier life?
- How do pets help children with autism?
- How are herbs used to improve skin complexion?
- Is a bread-free diet healthy?
- Do our clothes influence our state of mind?
- How to do more in less time?
- How to spend less money on a healthier diet?
- Is black tea more useful than coffee?
- How creativity can help to heal the consequences of psychological traumas?
- Do early marriages help to be more responsible?
- How you can help homeless people using the internet?
- What urgent measures can the government take to preserve forests in our state?
- How does the sun influence our health?
- Does an active lifestyle influence your joie de vivre?
Does an active lifestyle influence your joie de vivre?
Example of an Exploratory Essay
How to be a nice person?
You can learn to be a nice person or that may already one of your characteristics. It’s not easy to be a nice person if in real life you are not. For some people it’s natural and easy, others have to overcome their shortcomings. To be polite and well-mannered should be our goal in everyday life. We should be sincere in all our actions, admit mistakes and shortcomings and be ready to improve wrong behavior.
A nice person should have good intentions. Even that being so, it’s easy to offend someone with an unintentional remark or action. We should be very careful saying something that may be understood differently.
A very important trait of a nice person is being able to admit shortcomings and correcting wrong behavior. For a good person, it is important to change evil deeds. For example, It‘s evil to ruin someone’s happiness. The one who fights for the freedom of another person is nice and worthy of respect.
It’s important to be able to distinguish between good and wicked people. There are people with bad qualities who got them from their parents. Most unpleasant personalities are those who are unable and don’t want to see their flaws or change them.
On the whole, a nice person should be able to see own faults and be willing to alter them. Nice people don’t try to seem good just on the public. They sincerely stick to their principles everywhere. My opinion may differ from other opinions, yet for other people being a nice person can mean some other important characteristics.
It’s not difficult to write an exploratory essay when you know it’s goal and structure. You have to follow the main key points given in this article writing it. Hopefully, the topics given in this article will be used when writing such essays. When you get such an assignment, you will not get nervous because you will clearly understand the task. If you follow the guidelines from this article, you will write an exploratory essay well. You will successfully write it even in case you have not previously written such essays.