Compare Contrast Essay Topics for Completing a Memorable Paper
The work on essay writing is considered a significant type of independent student work and preparation for investigation work. When completing such type of independent work, a person acquires the unique skills of processing information sources; develops individual methods to consolidate knowledge, the ability for analysis and creative thinking; activates intellectual activity and a creative approach to solving educational problems; constitutes the basis of self-discipline and the need for regular replenishment knowledge, etc.
One of the efficient methods of resolving the described problems is forming students` ability to work with primary texts and create secondary texts. Secondary texts are used to store, accumulate, process, and improve primary information. This purpose determines their essential role in teaching: by creating secondary texts, the student acquires the skills of independent processing, encoding, and extraction of scientific and any other information. Secondary texts include essays, annotations, abstracts, reports, notes, critical articles, reviews, etc.
In general, the educational functions of the essay include the following:
- informational (expanding the disciplinary horizons);
- cognitive (assimilation of scientific information that complements the mandatory system of skills and knowledge);
- stimulating and motivational (development of interest in fundamental knowledge, stimulation of the need for their receipt);
- communicative (connecting, establishing the context of the academic discipline);
- developing (formation of the intellectual skills of the individual);
- training (mastering the method of processing the scientific materials);
- orientation (understanding of main scientific approaches in assessing a particular area of knowledge);
- systematizing (skills of systematic work; preparation for subsequent term papers and diploma works);
- cultural and speech (the ability to allocate suitable linguistic means for the design of written texts);
- educational (the formation of the worldview and value-oriented philosophy of the individual);
- organizational (acquisition or improvement of skills of independent work).
Thus, the observed polyfunctionality indicates that creating an essay without plagiarism is a necessary and mandatory skill in the course of obtaining professional education. As practice shows, students often face difficulties while fulfilling this task. Creating a compare contrast essay is the biggest challenge.
Taking this into account, in this overview, we will dwell in more detail on the features of creating a compare contrast essay and provide relevant topics for creating unique papers.
Main Stages of Work
The work on the essay includes several stages. It seems appropriate to consider each of them.
Preparation and Planning of Work
Careful preparation may be considered as the foundation of a future essay. The period allotted for this stage of work will determine its further course. In preparation for the work, you need to decide what you plan to discuss and for what purpose, and only then determine the way to achieve it.
Selection, Coordination of the Theme
As a rule, the theme is determined jointly by a teacher and a student. This implies, on the one hand, the student’s interest in a certain subject of the discipline, and, on the other, the requirements for the content. In the final formulation, the theme should be sufficiently definite and leave space for creativity, expressing one’s own opinion.
Drawing Up a Plan
Drawing up a plan will allow you to arrange the construction of the essay in a logical sequence. Furthermore, a clear structure will make the material easier to perceive. The outline usually includes a sequence of main sections, their summary.
Selection of Literature
When working with literature, it is appropriate to define sources of data required for analysis (reference materials and/or special literature); what data, in terms of their relevance and reliability, are useful for this work, how much data is needed; how to present the available material and your conclusions, how to arrange facts and their analysis in the essay, forming its clear and logical structure; how to analyze the collected information.
Work with Selected Sources and Literature
You should start work with sources from the study of the most essential and relevant scientific works and texts (books, articles, dissertations, and other scientific research) on the theme.
Systematization and Analysis of the Material
At this stage, it is important to analyze which of the statements are problematic, hypothetical, and to catch the hidden questions. The most effective way to learn to highlight the main thing in the text, to catch the problematic nature of statements, to assess the author`s position is comparative reading, during which the student gets acquainted with different opinions on the issue, compares the proof and weight of the parties` arguments and summarizes that or another position.
Written Representation of the Material in Subsections
The text should reveal the theme, have coherence and integrity. It is recommended to focus attention on the following points: strict adherence to the structural elements; clarification of the titles of subsections in the content of the written work.
Editing, Processing of Text
It is required to create introspection of the essay, i.e., to define whether it meets the basic characteristics of this type of papers:
- The relevance of the selected idea;
- The analysis of the up-to-date publications;
- Consideration of the state of a problem at different stages of social development, the level of its coverage in the literature;
- Generalization of outcomes, substantiation of conclusions.
Specific requirements have been developed for the design of various types of student papers, including essays. With this in mind, you should stick to them when formatting your work.
Your work’s theme must be fully or partially disclosed (if it is partially disclosed, you should indicate what aspects still need to be studied), the text must be correctly constructed.
Most Captivating Compare Contrast Essay Topics
So, we have already considered what steps you should complete generating a memorable essay. But before you get started, you should select a theme that will really be pertinent. We want to help you overcome difficulties and, therefore, will present the most actual compare contrast essay topics below and separate them into seven categories.
Compare Contrast Essay Topics in Philosophy of Science
Enthralling themes in philosophy of science are represented below:
- Science VS Art;
- Synchronous and diachronous methods of transferring scientific knowledge;
- Traditionalist and technogenic types of civilizational development and their basic values;
- Ancient logic and mathematics;
- Western and Eastern medieval science;
- The contribution of medieval and Renaissance science to the European scientific tradition;
- Metatheoretical and paradigmatic level of knowledge, their nature, specificity, and regulatory functions in cognition;
- Induction VS Probability;
- Methods for testing, confirming, and refuting scientific hypotheses and theories;
- cumulativeism about the relationship between evolutionary and revolutionary changes in science: the interpretation of scientific revolutions in cumulativeism;
- Critical evaluation of the concepts of Popper and Lakatos in contemporary literature;
- The problem of humanitarian control in science and high technologies;
- The role of nonlinear dynamics and synergetics in the development of modern ideas about historically developing systems;
- The convergence of the ideals of natural science and social-humanitarian knowledge;
- Scientism and anti-scientism;
- Science and Parascience.
Compare Contrast Essay Topics in Political Science
If you like political science, consider the next ideas:
- Politics as a sphere of public life and as an object of research in the social sciences;
- The variety of theories and trends in political science: sociological, institutionalist, the concept of political pluralism, the theory of democracy and bureaucracy, the theory of international relations;
- The relationship of the general theory of politics with political science subdisciplines;
- Subjects and objects, values and resources of power;
- A variety of approaches to explaining the nature of power: biological, psychological, sociological, philosophical;
- Institutional, regulatory, information, and communication subsystems;
- Macro and micro levels in the study of the political process;
- Public administration as a type of social administration, as a set of institutional methods and tools for the implementation of the powers of public authorities
- Subjects and objects of state administration;
- The political regime as a way of implementing state decisions and as a system of methods for exercising state power;
- Parliamentary and mixed (presidential-parliamentary) republics as a form of government;
- Functions of political parties, interest groups, and pressure groups in the mechanism of functioning of political systems;
- The interaction of the political system with the environment, other spheres of public life;
- Models of the political system of D. Easton and G. Almond;
- Legal and sociological approaches to the study of political regimes;
- Characteristics of democratic, authoritarian, and totalitarian political regimes;
- Modernization and transitology theories;
- Counter-revolution VS counter-reform;
- Multidirectional ideological and political attitudes and practical actions, their role in the emergence of conflicts;
- Conflict and non-contentious politicians.
Compare Contrast Essay Topics in World History (Ancient times)
If you are fond of studying ancient history, then you will probably be interested in reviewing the following compare contrast essay topics:
- The idea of primordiality in antiquity, the Middle Ages in the Arab East, the Renaissance;
- The nature and content of the Paleolithic, Mesolithic, Neolithic, Eneolithic, Bronze, and Early Iron, determining their chronological framework;
- Modern cultural and anthropological periodizations by type of communities and by type of political system;
- Neo-Darwinism VS Creationism;
- Human criteria: cultural and biological approaches;
- The first finds of the remains of fossil monkeys – Dryopithecus, Proconsul, Ramapithecus;
- Egypt in the Early and Middle Kingdoms;
- Mesopotamia during the Neo-Assyrian and New Babylonian kingdoms;
- Religion, mythology, and literature of the Hittites;
- The Phrygian kingdom, its struggle with the Cimmerians and Assyrians;
- The southern Palestinian kingdoms of Ammon, Moab, and Edom;
- Eastern Mediterranean under the rule of the Assyrian, Neo-Babylonian, and Persian kings;
- Formation of the Kushan state, its relations with India, Parthia, China;
- India in the ‘Vedic period’, ‘Buddhist period’, ‘Classical period;
- Sparta: the reforms of Agida and Cleomenes;
- Arianism and the Nicene Creed VS Julian and an attempt at pagan restoration.
Compare Contrast Essay Topics in Physics
If you like physics, we recommend that you concentrate your attention on the following themes:
- Connection of physics with technology;
- Kinematics of translational and rotational motion;
- Kinetic and potential energy;
- Fading and forced oscillations;
- Equations of the plane and spherical waves;
- Entropy and probability;
- Evaporation, condensation, and boiling;
- Melting and crystallization;
- Ampere’s VS Bio-Savar-Laplace laws of magnetic interaction;
- The motion of charged particles in an electric and magnetic field;
- Semiconductors VS superconductors.
Compare Contrast Essay Topics in Literature
Captivating compare contrast essay topics in literature are represented below:
- The military theme in the literature of Europe, USA, and Australia;
- Reassessment of the heritage of the past, comprehension of the new reality;
- Variety of forms in post-war realism;
- The theme of war in the works of J. Aldridge, I. Wo, K. Ishiguro;
- The problem of the hero in the plays “Death of a Salesman,” “View from the Bridge”;
- General and specific in the image of the war;
- Moral and social problems of our time in the works of W. Golding;
- The originality of approaches to the problems of modern America in the work of leading American writers;
- The multicultural aspect of modern English literature: S. Rushdie, K. Ishiguro;
- ‘University’ novel by D. Lodge and M. Bradbury;
- The creativity of the younger generation of postmodernists: M. Amis, I. McEwen;
- Formal techniques for creating an absurd picture of the world;
- A historical novel by E. Dark, T. Keneally.
Compare Contrast Essay Topics in Philosophy of Religion
The following compare contrast essay topics on the philosophy of religion are also quite interesting:
- Comparative characteristics of religious teachings;
- Philosophical styles of thinking and religion;
- Religious Consciousness VS Existential Loneliness;
- Faith and Reason, Rational and Irrational;
- Myth and Philosophy;
- Religion and Mythology;
- Religion and Science;
- ‘Female’ and ‘Male’ religions;
- Apophatic Theology VS Cataphatic Theology;
- The main ideas of modern religious and philosophical anthropology.
Compare Contrast Essay Topics in Computer Science
Computer science is a science that many modern schoolchildren and students are fond of. If you are one of them, consider the compare contrast essay topics below:
- Economic and legal aspects of computer science;
- Characteristics of the processes of collection, transmission, processing, and accumulation of information;
- Models for solving functional and computational problems;
- Programming languages;
- Information input-output means;
- Replication and copying of information;
- Types of automated information systems in economics;
- Stages of designing automated information systems;
- Comparative analysis of automated information systems and automated workplaces in the economy of developed countries.
In this article, we have told you how to write a memorable compare contrast essay and provided you with a range of relevant compare contrast essay topics across seven academic disciplines. Pick a theme that you think is relevant enough today and create a stellar paper. If you need support, our professional writers are ready to provide it. You can contact us right now, and soon the work on writing the essay will be completed!